Tuesday, January 5, 2016

The "A" shelf

So, this project is something we did a couple years ago so the photos are somewhat lacking... But it's one of my all-time favorites. It was one of our first projects, and it was before I stared using the saws etc. so the build itself was my husband's work. I handled the paint job. 

Plans for this project can be found on one of my favorite sites, www.ana-white.com 

If you haven't been to her site, you're missing out! 

So anyway, my oldest' name starts with "A", and we needed some fun shelving to keep little trinkets and whatnot. When I saw these plans I was all over it (aka bugged the crap out of my husband to build it). So off he went with the supply list and spent some time with the mitre saw, wood glue, and wood screws. This was the initial product. 

Super cute, right? So then he cut out a piece of plywood for the back, using the shelf to trace. I decided on a grey and white chevron design for the background. Like I said, not enough pictures on this old project but it ended up like this:

I used painters tape after drawing a grid, and then lightly sanded to give it a weathered look. Attaching this to the back of the shelf was easy-a few nails. So for the shelf itself, I chose to keep the Chevron design on the outsides and did some solid yellow accents. I really love how it turned out! 


We still use this piece in our playroom and it's so useful! It holds Lysol wipes, paper towels, TV remotes, snow globes... Anything I don't want the kids getting hold of 😂 

I hope you enjoyed this, and be sure to go check out Ana White if you want to build your own! 


No comments:

Post a Comment